Featuring the unique "ScienceToday" monthly magazine published by Times of India, during 1966-1991.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A PUZZLE A DAY

“A puzzle a day“
Some of my students, last day,  suggested me to post PUZZLES here. I thank them for a wonderful suggestion. Yeah, I decided to start posting puzzles here. Puzzles, like jokes, are certainly a pill for a healthy mind. Puzzles are a good pastime too. Therefore, I am very happy to initiate a new series here !!!
“A puzzle a day“

My objective of this series is to give YOU, all visitors to this place, HAPPINESS ! Happiness by keeping engaged for sometime; thinking ( and so exercising your brain) ; and deriving pleasure out of the results.

Puzzles can keep you healthy, since you are exercising your brain (intellect) and your mind. Puzzles are stress busters too ! A healthy mind in a healthy body only can make you really healthy.

Puzzles can make you wealthy, as they are good resources for all intellectual activities. They help you take good decisions, may be good business decisions too ! Good decisions make you wealthy !

Puzzles make you happy, as they are like jokes. They are stress relievers; they make you smile, laugh, and gets you the thrill of achievement.

So, I think, “a puzzle a day “ programme is worth in every dimension. Let me reframe my objective :
Let everyone say : A puzzle a day keeps me healthy wealthy and happy !

But what’s YOUR role ? I request ALL to post the answers and discussions (as comments) here. I’ll keep a track of who answers first, and award points. Who knows, someday we all may be able to institute a prize for the top scorer !

OK ? Let’s start right here. Oh before that , I must tell you that what I present here are based on puzzles published by “ScienceToday”. Thanks ST !!

The first one in the series :
**
P1.
A missionary, who was touring an island, was captured by the primitives of that island. An elaborate ceremony was on, headed by the Chief, and was to be concluded by killing the slave. The Chieftain came, and told the missionary :
“You have a choice as to the manner of your death. You can make a statement. If you are telling the truth you will be roasted. If it’s a lie, you will be cut to pieces.”
The missionary made a statement, and did live to tell this tale. What was his statement ?
**

Post your answer here.
Prasanna

No comments: