Featuring the unique "ScienceToday" monthly magazine published by Times of India, during 1966-1991.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Reporter's problem

P15

It was the funeral of the old millionaire Sukhiram. His six direct descendants had all come to the funeral (each being a son, grandson or greatgrandson of the old man). A reporter spoke to each of them and came away with these six statements:
(i) Sukhiram was my father. Dukhiram is not my son. I have no grandsons
(ii) I am Jetharam’s uncle. Chelaram and Khusiram are brothers. Dukhiram is my uncle
(iii) I have no brothers, Khusiram is my great uncle, Sitaram is my father
(iv) I am Jayaram. Sukhiram was my grandfather. Dukhiram is Sitaram’s son
(v) I am Dukhiram, Jayaram is my uncle Sitatram is my brother
(v) Sitaram and Jayaram are brothers. Jetharam is my grandson. Khusiram is my brother.
The old man Sukhiram always spoke the truth; this virtue was kept up by the next generation. But any grandson of Sukhiram makes one false statement in three. And any great grand son makes only one true statement in three.
The preporter has to draw the family tree. Can you help him?
[Hint: A son of Sukhiram has no uncles. Having deduced whether (iii) has a brother, you can work out whether Khusiram has a son. Then find out what relation Dukhiram is to Sukhiram and which speaker he is.]

No comments: